HISTORICAL FACTS OF THE BRONG AHAFO PRESBYTERY OF THE PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH OF GHANA
The Brong Ahafo Presbytery of the Presbyterian Church of Ghana was part of the Asante Presbytery which was known as the Asante Presbytery of the Presbyterian Church of the Gold Coast.
On the attainment of political independence from its colonial overloads.
Britain on the 6th of March, 1957, the new sovereign state came to be known as Ghana. The Presbyterian Church of Gold Coast changed to the Presbyterian Church of Ghana.
With the growth of the Christian population and for effective evangelization, the Brong Ahafo Presbytery of the Presbyterian Church of Ghana was created out of the Asante Presbytery on 1st May, 1966 with eight Pastoral Districts namely;
Sunyani, Berekum, Dormaa Ahenkro, Bechem, Duayaw Nkwanta, Japekrom, Sampa, and Atebubu. However, Atebubu was later transferred from the Brong Ahafo Presbytery to the Asante Presbytery due to transport and communication difficulties.
Tepa, Mabang and other congregations were also grounds of proximity. The eight Districts, which formed the new Brong Ahafo Presbytery, had a total of eighty Six (86) congregations.
The first Presbytery Chairman was the late Rev. K. Obiri Boateng who was also the District Minister, Bechem.
The first congregation to be established in the Presbytery is the Berekum Congregation which was established in 1905 and in 1920, the Berekum District was established.
The residential Minister was Rev. N. T. Clerk.
Within the 44 years of its existence, the Presbytery embarked on serious evangelism to expand membership, Congregations and Districts.
It is worth mentioning that the Brong Ahafo Presbytery after 43 years of existence gave ‘birth’ to a new Presbytery on 30th August, 2009.
The new Presbytery is known as the West Brong Presbytery with its headquarters at Berekum. Eleven Districts form the new Presbytery.
With the inauguration of the West Brong Presbytery, the number of Districts in the Brong Ahafo Presbytery now stands at 17 with one Mission Field (Banda Mission Field).
One Hundred and Ninety-three congregations, Eighty-five preaching posts and Twenty-four pastoral stations.